It doesn’t take an entomologist to know how troublesome mosquitoes are. Every time you turn on the news, you’re bound to hear something about the Zika virus or related diseases. Not to mention, we all know about those gross bumps and bites they are so accustomed to delivering. In light of all these negative harbingers, there are still ways you can protect your family from one of the deadliest insects on the planet. Mosquito Control Awareness Week runs from June 26th through July 2nd and aims to spread the word about how you can stay bite-free over the coming months. Experts in the mosquito control field continue to share professional advice for avoiding the unpleasantness—and potential danger. Here are five of our select tips to help keep these pests out of your yard:
- Lighten up. Many species of mosquitoes use their vision to seek out hosts, and they are attracted to dark colored clothing. When possible, wear lightly colored garments when out in the
yard to avoid becoming an easy target. Plus, light colors are so much more fashionable in summer anyway!
- Don’t sweat it. Mosquitoes can smell human sweat and carbon dioxide from your breath at great distances, so try to refrain from heavy outdoor exercise if you can. Stick to the gym and don’t risk getting unwanted itches all season long.
- Do some dry cleaning. Do your best to eliminate any and all standing water from your yard, regardless of how little there may be. A thimble contains enough water for a female mosquito to lay eggs without much difficulty, so you absolutely need to keep your eyes peeled for places that might be wet. Check around for things like pails and buckets, open garbage cans, full or clogged gutters, plant pots and saucers, kiddie pools and other objects that could contain shallow water. Be sure to check for standing water after a rain storm as well.
- Flip your lids. To prevent standing water from mounting up around your property, try flipping unused containers upside down. Turning all of the previously mentioned objects over will assist in keeping your yard from becoming a favorable environment for mosquitoes, so your home will not become a pest resort.
- Spread the word. Even if you manage to clear your yard of mosquito attractions, these insects can still come to home from a neighbor’s yard in search of a host. Share this advice with the neighborhood and make your block a no-fly zone for mosquitoes.
If any of these tasks are not feasible for any reason, or if you simply want greater protection from mosquitoes, your local Lawn Doctor has the solution. Our Yard Armour Mosquito Control services are designed to push the pesky pests away from your home and loved ones. One of our experts will apply a special mosquito repellent to your yard and create a virtual fortress to keep mosquitoes out.* We offer a variety of affordable control options, and we tailor every treatment to each property’s specific needs to ensure a happy and fun-filled season.
Summer is the time to enjoy outside evening dinners and s’mores by the fire with the family. Don’t give mosquitoes the chance to ruin it. Protect your family and people everywhere by spreading the word for Mosquito Control Awareness Week!
*No control program can eliminate mosquitoes and ticks completely. The Yard Armour® services of local Lawn Doctor franchise businesses will reduce mosquito and tick populations in treated areas. No franchisee or any affiliate makes any expressed or implied guarantee regarding vector-borne health risks to humans or animals. Exposure to disease can occur in uncontrolled areas.