Dangerous Common Weeds: Spring Poison Ivy

Are you an outdoor adventurer? Have you experienced an unknown skin rash from being outdoors? High chances, you have encounter the dangerous perennial weed, poison ivy. Luckily, a poison ivy rash can be treated safely. Below are some tips on treating weeds like poison ivy and identifying how this dangerous common weed can be located while being present outdoors.

How to Treat a Rash from Poison Ivy?

  • Rinse off the oil produced by the poison ivy plant immediately
  • Wash surrounding surfaces containing the oil from the poison ivy plant to prevent more rashes from forming
  • Change your clothing immediately after the first initial contact
  • Do not poke, scratch, and touch your rashes
  • Apply a mixture of baking soda and water over affected area for temporary relief
  • Take a lukewarm bath with grinded oatmeal powder to help relieve itchiness
  • Apply small amounts of aloe gel to cool down the rash
  • Clean affected area with rubbing alcohol to prevent further spreading and irritation
  • Apply a cold cloth or an ice-pack on itchy skin areas
  • When necessary, take antihistamine-allergy relief pills
  • Try to take shorter and colder showers when skin has been affected by poison ivy

If symptoms progress to get worse, please contact emergency services or seek immediate attention with a dermatologist.

Where is Poison Ivy?

Poison ivy can be found nearly anywhere since it is a common weed across the nation. Every part of the plant is toxic, but here are some key features to look for in identifying this very dangerous, poisonous weed.

  • Each leaf has three pointed-leaflets
  • During the peak of spring, poison ivy plants will have yellow-green flowers
  • Poison ivy is grown in vines
  • Although most poison ivy plants are green, leave colors can change

Poison ivy is very contagious and humans are not the only ones that are allergic to the plant’s oil. Remember to keep your pets safe as well!

2 thoughts on “Dangerous Common Weeds: Spring Poison Ivy

    1. Robert,

      Poison Ivy can be very difficult to control and requires repeated applications of products to remove. We recommend using a non-selective herbicide at the base of the plant. Cut the vine low to the ground before the application, as this will allow the product to be taken in. This is important as simply spraying the foliage with products will not control this invasive weed. Your local Lawn Doctor can also help remove the Poison Ivy from your lawn as well!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *