Your lawn is finally turning green, which signals the start of turf care season. It’s a sensitive time in your yard since weather patterns can fluctuate wildly and grass plants are still tender. It’s also a time in the Grand Rapids, MI area when weeds are germinating and developing, which means you need a lawn weed control plan. How can you suppress their growth and get your property in prime shape for the weeks and months ahead? Start with these five tips:
1. Target weeds prior to germination. Use a pre-emergent lawn weed control product during the Grand Rapids area’s early spring, before the soil heats up and regularly hits around 65 degrees. This will stop those young plants underground from continuing to grow.
2. Treat weeds on the surface. When you’re starting to notice active weeds on the surface, apply a post-emergent product rather than hand pulling which can be ineffective since any little bit of root left behind will regenerate. Just ensure it’s before plants drop seed and re-populate your yard with new invaders.
3. Make an effort to mow better. You might prefer a shorter lawn, but so do weeds. They’ll be able to get more water and sunlight when blades are cut closer to the ground. Instead, mow higher and more frequently.
4. Fertilize for improved growth. The right diet will help your lawn increase in turf density and build up defenses, which combine to block out weeds. Before you apply, though, choose a product designed for your specific lawn type and your yard’s current nutritional needs.
5. Address any contributing factors. From compaction to overly acidic soil, these kinds of issues can lead to the spread of weeds. It’s therefore important to evaluate the state of your soil and conduct a soil test if necessary. Once you fix any underlying problems, your lawn will become more competitive against problems of all kinds, including weeds.
Lawn Weed Control Team in Grand Rapids: Leave the Work to Us!
Don’t rely on guesswork. Instead, if you’re not sure what to apply and when, or simply don’t have the time to deal with an infestation, turn to the lawn weed control technicians at Lawn Doctor of Grand Rapids. We will carefully assess your yard, develop a tailored treatment plan, and deliver the services your lawn needs for more robust growth and far fewer weeds.
Call Lawn Doctor of Grand Rapids at (616) 281-7109 today for a free consultation and to learn more about our lawn weed control services, available throughout the Grand Rapids, MI area, including in Kentwood, Forest Hills, Ada, Caledonia, Wyoming, and Rockford.