Yellow grass, spreading weeds and diseases, and spotty growth are an unwelcome sign for every homeowner. When they happen, what can you do? As local lawn care service professionals in the Grand Rapids, MI area, we know that these issues are often caused by nutrient deficiencies. Fertilization is therefore the key to fixing them and nourishing your lawn with a stream of necessary essentials. Just make sure when you do, you take the right approach. Here’s what you need to know.
Fertilization and Lawn Care Services: Getting it Right in Grand Rapids
Don’t spread some fertilizer in your lawn one time and expect great results. This is a job that requires careful planning and following a precise process. Some factors to consider along the way include:
- Soil quality. What specific nutrients are most in need in your lawn? Also, is there a pH imbalance in your soil? Soil testing is the only way to truly assess soil quality, so you can deliver more effective fertilizer applications.
- Time of year. Most lawns in Michigan tend to be cool-season. Generally speaking, these should be fertilized in early spring, late summer, and fall. However, different species have varying needs, which is why it’s always helpful to consult with a trained lawn care service provider in Grand Rapids first.
- Product. Whatever you do apply to your lawn, carefully read the instructions first to ensure you use the right amount. Too much can wind up damaging your lawn and causing burns in it. Also, slow-release formulas tend to feed lawns better and reduce the loss of nutrients to the environment.
- Frequency. If you just fertilized your lawn, don’t apply another treatment, even if you’re not seeing desired results. You should space out applications so they’re delivered every six to eight weeks.
- Watering. Both before and after you fertilize, water your lawn. This will help increase nutrient absorption and improve the effectiveness of your treatments.
Grand Rapids’ Choice for Fertilization Services
There’s a lot to keep in mind when it comes to proper fertilization. If you don’t have the time or expertise to figure it all out, put your lawn into the hands of experts who do. At Lawn Doctor of Grand Rapids, not only do we offer time-tested services, premium products, and advanced equipment, but we promise to treat your lawn like our own. We want to deliver the best possible results in the form of healthy lawns and happy customers.
Find out more about our lawn care services offered all over Grand Rapids as well as in the surrounding communities, including Kentwood, Forest Hills, Ada, Caledonia, Wyoming, and Rockford. Call (616) 281-7109 today to set up your free consultation.