When it comes to yard care, lawn weed control is often one of the biggest frustrations for many property owners across the Albuquerque, NM area. Just when you think you’ve got a handle on them, they pop back up and spread. What can you do? The first step is proper identification. This will inform how and when you treat. Here’s what you need to know:
- How to spot them: These are identified by their wide, flat leaves.
- Examples: Dandelion, broadleaf plantain, bull thistle, chickweed, field bindweed, ragweed, and purslane.
- When to treat: Fall in the Albuquerque area is the ideal time to deliver lawn weed control as these types are preparing for winter. It’s when they’re absorbing energy around them and will therefore circulate the post-emergent herbicide you apply into their root system. However, many types can also be treated in spring too once they’re actively growing. Target them earlier in the season, though, before they get too large, spread, and begin dropping seed.
- How to spot them: These weeds have tall, thin blades, just like grass, and grow in a similar manner, making them harder to identify and control.
- Examples: Crabgrass, annual bluegrass, quackgrass, goosegrass, and dallisgrass.
- When to treat: Germination begins in the Albuquerque area’s early spring season once soil temperatures are consistently around the 60- to 65-degree mark. For effective control, you need to treat these species with a pre-emergent product before that happens to prevent their growth.
Of course, if you have underlying problems, like soil compaction, nutrient deficiencies, or a pH imbalance, it’s going to impact the effectiveness of your weed treatments. So make sure your yard is in optimal condition, too, for healthy growth and stronger defenses against stubborn weeds.
Albuquerque’s Lawn Weed Control Team: Leave the Job to Us!
When it comes to weed control, it takes a lot of know-how to get it done right. If you’d rather have an expert approach and better results, turn to the local lawn weed control specialists at Lawn Doctor of Albuquerque. We offer all the necessary weed treatments your yard might need, from pre-emergent control to post-emergent applications. We can also get your lawn into great shape this spring through a range of other services, including fertilization, seeding, and aeration.
Call Lawn Doctor of Albuquerque NM today at (505) 884-4433 for a free consultation to learn more about our lawn weed control services available across the area, including in nearby communities, such as Rio Rancho, Bernalillo, Corrales, Placitas, Taylor Ranch, and Paradise Hills.